A plea to PSI and other clueless DNS Admins

Frazier, Ben Ben.Frazier at COMPAQ.com
Fri Oct 8 20:38:48 UTC 1999

Oh but wait until people start sticking Microsoft ActiveDirectory servers on
the Internet.  They are loaded with underscores in AD and Microsoft says
that the underscores are RFC compliant.  Ofcourse they also say that stub
records are NOT RFC compliant, hence they won't include them in thier
implementation of DNS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris A. Epler [mailto:cepler at Stormhaven.org]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 3:11 PM
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
Subject: A plea to PSI and other clueless DNS Admins

PLEASE OH PLEASE read the RFC's and books on how to administer DNS before
setting up hostnames.  I've been seeing a RASH of hostnames being rejected
due to underscores in their hostname.  Needless to say, our server (as well
as other recent BINDs by default) will REJECT a zone transfer for these
zones with erroneous records.

The majority of these have been for MX records, probably Exchange servers
(But not necessarily only Exchange servers, I think Windows people just like
to use '_' instead of '-' for some reason..)

Please replace your "_"'s with "-"'s and read your DNS books and RFCs..
It's tiring explaining to our customers that they cannot mail to these
domains due to errors at other ISPs.