A plea to PSI and other clueless DNS Admins

Chris A. Epler cepler at Stormhaven.org
Fri Oct 8 20:10:49 UTC 1999

PLEASE OH PLEASE read the RFC's and books on how to administer DNS before
setting up hostnames.  I've been seeing a RASH of hostnames being rejected
due to underscores in their hostname.  Needless to say, our server (as well
as other recent BINDs by default) will REJECT a zone transfer for these
zones with erroneous records.

The majority of these have been for MX records, probably Exchange servers
(But not necessarily only Exchange servers, I think Windows people just like
to use '_' instead of '-' for some reason..)

Please replace your "_"'s with "-"'s and read your DNS books and RFCs..
It's tiring explaining to our customers that they cannot mail to these
domains due to errors at other ISPs.