Help, reverse resolve on classless subnet wackyness

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jun 8 18:05:28 UTC 1999

In article <rejemy-ya02408000R0706992310070001 at news.dnai.com>,
Jeremy Friesen <rejemy at dreamwing.com> wrote:

>This is probably a terrible newbie mistake, as I am in fact a terrible
>newbie, but I couldn't find it in the FAQ, so here goes. I'm trying to run
>my own DNS for a small (16 IPs) subnet. I've set up bind, and when used
>localy, everything is find and dandy. 206.86.17.130 properly resolves to
>"vega.epits.com".
>
>The ISP has delegated reverse DNS to my server, yet when I try to reverse
>DNS my address through an external name server, something frightening
>happens: 206.86.17.130 resolves to "vega.epits.com.17.86.206.in-addr.arpa".

Your ISP has *not* delegated reverse DNS for your subnet to you.  They put
PTR records directly in the 17.86.206.in-addr.arpa zone, and left off the
trailing dots.  Use "dig -x 206.86.17 axfr @ns1.best.com" and you'll see
that everything is in there.

You and they should read RFC 2317 to see the proper way to delegate a
subnet of a class C.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com