Help, reverse resolve on classless subnet wackyness

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Jun 8 18:11:31 UTC 1999

> This is probably a terrible newbie mistake, as I am in fact a terrible
> newbie, but I couldn't find it in the FAQ, so here goes. I'm trying to run
> my own DNS for a small (16 IPs) subnet. I've set up bind, and when used
> localy, everything is find and dandy. 206.86.17.130 properly resolves to
> "vega.epits.com".
>
> The ISP has delegated reverse DNS to my server, yet when I try to reverse
> DNS my address through an external name server, something frightening
> happens: 206.86.17.130 resolves to "vega.epits.com.17.86.206.in-addr.arpa".
>
> Is this my mistake? My ISP's? They don't know either. Here's the file involved:

Your mistake and your ISP's mistake.

Your ISP has  n o t  delegated reverse DNS to you.  You don't have the
whole subnet, only part of it.  Nor have they done RFC 2317 delegation.

If you check, ns[123].best.com are the advertised servers for that
reverse DNS zone.  They list all the domains, including yours, that are
in that 24-bit subnet.

All are OK except yours.  They didn't put dots at the end of your host
names, I would think.

Your reverse DNS file may not be consulted, or may have been manually
consulted.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B