Reverse DNS Lookup

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 2 21:35:55 UTC 1999

In article <37558E9B.A5B28D99 at mwade.com>, Matt Wade  <mwade at mwade.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the quick reply.
>
>The remote IP address that's giving me trouble is: 209.220.225.26.
>
>When I do an nslookup here's what I get:
># nslookup 207.172.111.120
>Server:  cameron.dcaccess.net
>Address:  209.220.225.26
>Aliases:  26.225.220.209.in-addr.arpa
>
>Name:    207-172-111-120.s120.tnt1.ann.va.dialup.rcn.com
>Address:  207.172.111.120
>
>I get this response immediately. So it seems to me that their IP address
>is mapped OK, right?

If the IP address that's giving you trouble is 209.220.225.26, why are you
looking up 207.172.111.120?  However, it looks like reverse DNS for both of
them is set up properly, so that's not an issue.

One possibility is that your FTP server has an old resolver that doesn't
understand RFC 2317-style reverse DNS, so it gets confused when it's trying
to look up 209.220.225.26.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com