Reverse DNS Lookup

David T. Smith dsmith at uswebcks.com
Thu Jun 3 01:36:19 UTC 1999

At 04:05 PM 6/2/99 -0400, Matt Wade wrote:
>Thanks for the quick reply.
>
>The remote IP address that's giving me trouble is: 209.220.225.26.
>
>When I do an nslookup here's what I get:
># nslookup 207.172.111.120
>Server:  cameron.dcaccess.net
>Address:  209.220.225.26
>Aliases:  26.225.220.209.in-addr.arpa
>
>Name:    207-172-111-120.s120.tnt1.ann.va.dialup.rcn.com
>Address:  207.172.111.120
>
>I get this response immediately. So it seems to me that their IP address
>is mapped OK, right?
 207.172.111.120 seems to be cached on your DNS server.
That would give you a quick response (and it should make your FTP
connection also quick).  If your FTP connection is not quick, then
there are a few other issues to look at:

	When the client on 207.172.111.120 connects, does the
	initial "Connected to " appear immediately, with a
	long wait for the "Username"?

	Do you get the same slowness connecting to other services
	that might have inverse lookups associated with them?
	Telnet?  HTTP? SMTP?

	Is there a firewall that does its own logging in between?
	Can it resolve the addresses?

There are other things to look at, but the problem is beginning
to drift far afield from the topic of this newsgroup and might
be pursued better off line.

DTS

D A V I D  T .   S M I T H
Principal Consultant, Network Solutions
USWeb/CKS Corporation       http://www.uswebcks.com/
50 Washington Street 6th Floor
South Norwalk, CT 06854
ph:  1 203 857 0080
fax: 1 203 857 0082
mailto: dsmith at uswebcks.com

USWeb/CKS - A Strategic Partner for the Information Age