DNS Question (from a novice)

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Thu Jul 29 18:42:37 UTC 1999

Mathew Plumb wrote:

> Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still a little baffled by this though
> <duh>.
>
> If I browse from the proxy machine it seems just fine and speedy. One thing
> I did discover yesterday was that from a different office the tracert to the
> proxy server doesn't return the name of the server just the TCP/IP address.
> Whereas from my office both the name & address were returned on the final
> hop.
>
> BTW. Michael what's a publically available PTR record?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Matthew

A PTR records is used to find a hostname when you know the address.
This results you saw would indicate your office could find the PTR
record (or /etc/hosts type entry) for the Proxy, but not the other
office.
Dlo both offices have problems?

Since your client can get to the internet without the proxy and the
proxy can get to the internet, I assume the problem is why your proxy
doesn't want to respond to the client. Maybe the proxy is not able to
find your ptr record. This would require knowing what the proxy needs.

Michael