Reverse for a /23

Mark.Andrews at iengines.com Mark.Andrews at iengines.com
Thu Dec 23 02:02:14 UTC 1999

> You could use the $GENERATE directive to ease a lot of the work in this
> situation. Something like:
>
> $GENERATE 1-254 $ PTR somehost$.example.com.
>
> You still have 128 files to create, but only one entry per file instead of
> 254.

	$GENERATE is much more useful in the parent zone.

	For a lower /25

	0-127	NS	ns1.example.
	0-127	NS	ns2.example.
	$GENERATE 0-127 $ CNAME $.0-127

> I've only used the $GENERATE directive a little bit, so you may have to play
> with it a bit to get it to do exactly what you want.
>
> The only thing you might need to be careful of is leaving out the class (the
> place where you normally put "IN"), since $GENERATE puts it in for you. That
> one drove me crazy trying to figure out what I had done wrong the first time
> I used it.

	The class is not needed as a master file only contain one class.

> On that note, because of how $GENERATE works, can you not use it on other
> classes (like CH or HS)? I know other classes are rare these days, but it
> should be a class agnostic directive, shouldn't it? If for no other reason
> than symmetry with the regular entries.

	$GENERATE is class independant.
	It works for all classes.

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at iengines.com