Reverse for a /23

Adam Augustine adam_augustine at morinda.com
Thu Dec 23 01:27:10 UTC 1999

You could use the $GENERATE directive to ease a lot of the work in this
situation. Something like:

$GENERATE 1-254 $ PTR somehost$.example.com.

You still have 128 files to create, but only one entry per file instead of
254.

I've only used the $GENERATE directive a little bit, so you may have to play
with it a bit to get it to do exactly what you want.

The only thing you might need to be careful of is leaving out the class (the
place where you normally put "IN"), since $GENERATE puts it in for you. That
one drove me crazy trying to figure out what I had done wrong the first time
I used it.

On that note, because of how $GENERATE works, can you not use it on other
classes (like CH or HS)? I know other classes are rare these days, but it
should be a class agnostic directive, shouldn't it? If for no other reason
than symmetry with the regular entries.

Just a thought,
	Adam Augustine