DNS and Virtual Interfaces

gilcwong at my-deja.com gilcwong at my-deja.com
Tue Dec 21 20:21:26 UTC 1999

I want to host two domains on one machine. I setup my Ethernet card with
two IP addresses using ifconfig.  I edited the following files:

/etc/hosts
/etc/hostname.<interface>:1

to reflect the changes.  I can ping my "new" machine name so I think I
setup this part correctly.

I created a DNS db file for my new interface.  It will be holding a new
domain name.  I also added the in-addr.arpa entry for this interface.
So,
here's my problem.

Things that work:
1.  nslookup of the new interface using the IP number.  This give me the
correct mapping to the "new" machine name

2.  nsloolup of my MX record for this new machine.  This correctly
points
to my mail server.

When I try to do a nslookup of my new machine name, it says:
"can't find interface.domain.com: Non-existent host/domain"

Did I forget to do something?  Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.