Solaris 2.6 and odd Bind 8.2.2-P5 ndc behaviour

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Dec 17 01:35:01 UTC 1999

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 02:34:34PM -0500, Jason Ahrens wrote:
> I have recently tried to change over to Bind 8.2.2 P5 on a Solaris 2.6
> sparc box. Named seems to work well, with one exception, but ndc is a
> total flop...
>
> Build envrionment:
> Solars 2.6
> sun4m (Sparc 20)
> gcc version 2.7.2.3
> GNU binutils 2.9.1
> (also tried with binutils that ship with solaris 2.6)
>
> In the log files, 'named' complains about this once every reload:
> named[484]: ctl_server: bind: No such file or directory
>
> As well, the ndc utiltiy segfaults whenever it is used.
>
> Has anyone gotten this setup working? I am at a bit of a loss as to what
> else to try. I've looked back in the archives a few months but found
> nothing that seemed to apply...
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason

I've never seen 'ndc' segfault.  There used to be a version of 'named'
that did NOT clean up the "ctl_server" port on re-start, and so caused
the above message.  Are you sure that both 'named' and 'ndc' are being
run from the new installation?  Is the default Unix socket that both use
in a directory that is writable by 'named' and readable by 'ndc'?  I'm
just guessing around here; no real grounds for anything.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B