interesting delegation question

Dave North dnorth at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Dec 15 19:47:59 UTC 1999

Good day.

I have a delegation question that is kind of weird.  Basically, I have the
following:

1.in-addr.arpa
          NS    ns1.com.     MASTER

           1.1.in-addr.arpa
                NS  ns2.com     MASTER
                NS  ns1.com    SLAVE

My question is, in the zone file for 1.in-addr.arpa on ns1, does it need the
NS record for ns2.com as a delegation seeing as it's a SLAVE for that zone
as well?  I can see arguments for both ways but I wonder which method BIND
considers correct (ie. look at the slave file or the delegation).

thanks

Dave

--
Dave North                       The opinions expressed above are
Nortel Networks                 not intended to reflect those of