generating update requests

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Aug 29 04:12:52 UTC 1999

Jan Vicherek <honza at ied.com> wrote in message
news:<Pine.LNX.4.10.9908282233590.1672-100000 at ann.ied.com>...
>  I understand that the latest bind alows for updating a record without
> having to "update zone file & restart bind". I understand (correct me if
> I'm wrong), that bind can receive some sort of network packet which will
> tell it,  e.g. "under your primary domain xyz.com, the host abc.xyz.com
> has new IP address 1.2.3.4". Once bind gets such information, it stops
> resolving abc.xyz.com as previously 4.3.2.1 and starts resolving it as
> 1.2.3.4.

Yeah, that mechanism is called dynamic update.

>   Is there a program which would send to bind this information by allowing
> me to supply the requested change on the command line, or stdin ?

Sure.  There's a program in the BIND distribution called nsupdate that lets
you do just that.

> PS :  Is there a way to make bind dump its current DB on exit and reload
> it when it starts up again ?

No.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.