generating update requests

Jan Vicherek honza at ied.com
Sun Aug 29 02:40:50 UTC 1999

 Hi,

 I understand that the latest bind alows for updating a record without
having to "update zone file & restart bind". I understand (correct me if
I'm wrong), that bind can receive some sort of network packet which will
tell it,  e.g. "under your primary domain xyz.com, the host abc.xyz.com
has new IP address 1.2.3.4". Once bind gets such information, it stops
resolving abc.xyz.com as previously 4.3.2.1 and starts resolving it as
1.2.3.4.

  Is there a program which would send to bind this information by allowing
me to supply the requested change on the command line, or stdin ?

   Thanx,

        Jan

PS :  Is there a way to make bind dump its current DB on exit and reload
it when it starts up again ?

 -- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
                ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##
                   http://Vicherek.Waterloo.on.ca/