generating update requests

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Mon Aug 30 09:28:47 UTC 1999

    Jan>  I understand that the latest bind alows for updating a
    Jan> record without having to "update zone file & restart bind". I
    Jan> understand (correct me if I'm wrong), that bind can receive
    Jan> some sort of network packet which will tell it, e.g. "under
    Jan> your primary domain xyz.com, the host abc.xyz.com has new IP
    Jan> address 1.2.3.4". Once bind gets such information, it stops
    Jan> resolving abc.xyz.com as previously 4.3.2.1 and starts
    Jan> resolving it as 1.2.3.4.

    Jan>   Is there a program which would send to bind this
    Jan> information by allowing me to supply the requested change on
    Jan> the command line, or stdin ?

Yes. See nsupdate. However you've better think VERY carefully before
using Dynamic DNS. There are very serious problems of scaling and
security. Each dynamic update bumps the zone serial number => zone
transfers. The scurity implications are terrifying: anyone who does an
nsupdate has write-access to the zone. They can add, remove or change
any resource records they want. Where do you want your mail and web
traffic to go?

    Jan> PS : Is there a way to make bind dump its current DB on exit
    Jan> and reload it when it starts up again ?

No. What makes you think the cache that the server had before it
exited will still be valid when it restarts?