a newbie question: how do i upgrade my bind 4.9.7 to latest version

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Aug 27 21:53:09 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.990828061337.413A-100000 at compaq.col.com.ph>,
 <darkwing at compaq.col.com.ph> wrote:
>	i just want to ask if how and what will i do if i want to upgrade
>my current version of bind which is version 4.9.7-1 to the latest version
>of 8.x something.. I know that the configuration of version 8 is different
>from version 4 which uses named.conf instead of named.boot but i just want
>to know if do i need to change my bind programs & utils (eg. named,
>named-xfer etc.)?? Hope to hear from u guys ASAP.. Thanks and God Bless..

Of course you have to change your bind programs -- that's what the upgrade
is all about.  The programs that change are named, named-xfer, and ndc
(which used to be a shell script, but is a C program in BIND 8.2).

You will need to convert your named.boot into named.conf, which can be done
using the named-bootconf script that comes with BIND 8.  And you'll need to
add $TTL directives to all your primary zone files, because BIND 8.2
doesn't use the SOA record to get the default TTL.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com