[Kea-users] Where to put data for kea.

Nicolò Borghi borghi.nicolo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 09:15:12 UTC 2024

Hi,

yes, I believe you can indeed put all in one file. At some point I considered writing some utility to read/write the JSON in order to reduce the risk of errors. I guess this could be a nice open source side project. Still, that would require handling the configuration reload (maybe via systemctl?), as the JSON-based reservations are not updated in real time (I think). There may be some chances using the kea-ctrl-agent API to reload the config. But I'm currently investigating this myself, so I don't have final thoughts.

Regarding the size limit of the config file I have no knowledge, I'm afraid.

Regarding netbox, I must admit I don't know it. However, I will offer my personal speculation: unless netbox takes the responsibility of ensuring the integrity of the Kea DB (which sounds unlikely), I think you may still need the task-specific official Kea hook to ensure proper handling. I mean, I've seen pieces of code handling direct "INSERT INTO" and "SELECT FROM" SQL queries, but they really look sketchy.

Hope this makes sense.

Best,
Nicolò.