[Kea-users] Where to put data for kea.

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Wed Jan 10 09:24:45 UTC 2024

Le 10/01/2024 à 09:15:12+0000, Nicolò Borghi a écrit
> Hi,
>
> yes, I believe you can indeed put all in one file. At some point I considered
> writing some utility to read/write the JSON in order to reduce the risk of
> errors. I guess this could be a nice open source side project. Still, that

Yeah...of course...writing json manually is a nightmare IMHT (T=taste) ;-)

> would require handling the configuration reload (maybe via systemctl?), as the

It's how it work currently with the isc-dhcp.

> JSON-based reservations are not updated in real time (I think). There may be
> some chances using the kea-ctrl-agent API to reload the config. But I'm
> currently investigating this myself, so I don't have final thoughts.

It's not a issue for us to restart.

Currently we have a cronjob who start the script who will extract the data
from a databases. The data in databases are manage with some old webui.
After the script finish we restart our isc-dhcp. The lease are very long
(4 h) so no impact.

> Regarding the size limit of the config file I have no knowledge, I'm afraid.

Ok.

> Regarding netbox, I must admit I don't know it. However, I will offer my
> personal speculation: unless netbox takes the responsibility of ensuring the
> integrity of the Kea DB (which sounds unlikely), I think you may still need the
> task-specific official Kea hook to ensure proper handling. I mean, I've seen
> pieces of code handling direct "INSERT INTO" and "SELECT FROM" SQL queries, but
> they really look sketchy.

Seem logical.

Thanks.

Regards