[Kea-users] Renumbering Ipv6 Pool

Thijs Blok blokthijs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:38:07 UTC 2024

Hi Darren,

I've not tried this myself, and I expect different behavior compared
> to DHCPv4, but you might consider adding the old and new subnet to a
> single shared network.  On the old subnet, remove the pools statement
> so that no dynamic addresses are available.  Then, the clients should
> migrate to the new subnet as they renew since they won't be able to
> renew the old address any longer.  This would work in DHCPv4...  In
> DHCPv6, the move may happen much more quickly (I've seen evidence of
> this in other testing but haven't investigated closely), it is unclear
> to me as I've not experimented.

We actually don't use shared networks, because it causes sometimes issues
selecting the wrong subnet based on the relay-ip
I know already from lab tests when i change the IPv6 pool,  the old lease
expires, the client will go offline, rebinds to the new IPv6 address and
comes back online.

In the lab the lifetimes are very short, so i can see the behavior
quite quicky.

Cheers,
Thijs