[Kea-users] Migration to Kea

Darren Ankney darren.ankney at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 09:56:36 UTC 2023

Hi Chris,

Perhaps you might be interested in a tool that is not quite fully
features but might help you get started:
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea-quick-config The latest, not
yet released, version supports several ddns parameters that you seem
confused about.  Please note that php is required.

TLDR; to install and use, perform these steps:

git checkout https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea-quick-config.git
cd src/public_html
php -S localhost:8000

The browse to http://localhost:8000

> (1)
> allow unknown-clients;
>
> I could configure unknown-clients to allow/deny/ignore ...
>
> Now if convert to Kea, you mean, have to use special classes KNOWN and UNKNOWN
> https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/classify.html#built-in-client-classes
> I read it, I am totally lost.
>
> what look like in Json format  for this client class ? like below ? could you give a sample ?

It would be difficult to give examples beyond what is already in the
ARM without knowing your specific configuration or use case.

If you search for UNKNOWN, you may find several interesting examples
in the ARM (https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/search.html?q=unknown&check_keywords=yes&area=default).

> (2)
> client-updates
> I could configure this common parameter "client-updates" to allow/deny/ignore ...
>
> Now if convert to Kea, you mean have to use ddns-override-client-update
> https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/dhcp4-srv.html#supported-parameters
>
> from the table: List of DHCPv4 parameters supported by the Configuration Backend
>
> Parameter                                 Global Client-Class Shared-Network Subnet Pool
> ddns-override-client-update  yes      n/a                yes                         yes       n/a
>
> this "ddns-override-client-update" configuration backend parameters can be supported in Global,
> this is same as my old dhcp configuration context.
> But again, how it is look like in Json format?

There is much detail in the ARM about what these options do and how to
use them.  There are many examples there of what these options look
like in json.  The best advice is to read the ARM.  Again, however,
you can search for ddns and find several examples from the ARM
(https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/search.html?q=ddns&check_keywords=yes&area=default).

Final thought: I encourage you to read the ARM as you are
transitioning to Kea.  Kea is very different from ISC DHCP.  You may
not have much success if you do not take the time to understand it.

Thank you,

Darren Ankney