[Kea-users] DDNS for Migration to Kea

LIU Chris chris-zq.liu at urbanandmainlines.com
Mon Sep 25 19:46:16 UTC 2023

Classified as: {OPEN}

I am migrating to kea from old dhcp.

My old dhcp configuration file, ddns part is based on the
https://linux.die.net/man/5/dhcpd.conf

Dynamic Dns Updates
(1)    I can not find kea ddns update Scheme to select.
My old dhcp conf:
ddns-update-style interim;   // here I can configure  ad_hoc/interim/dhcp_standard/

however, I cannot find the corresponded configuration in kea with JSON format

(2)     for DDNS, I also configure the Dynamic Dns Update Security as below, I cannot find it in Kea.
key rndc-key {
    algorithm hmac-md5
    secret test;
}
# Zones declartions.
zone test_1 {
    primary 172.22.144.1;
    secondary 10.168.1.1;
}
For Kea, https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/dhcp4-srv.html
Section:   8.2.19. DDNS for DHCPv4

I can configure server-ip, but I cannot find the key-algorithm and secret.

"Dhcp4": {
     "dhcp-ddns": {
        // Connectivity parameters
        "enable-updates": true,            // configure it
         "server-ip": "127.0.0.1",        // good
         "server-port":53001,
         "sender-ip":"",
         "sender-port":0,
         "max-queue-size":1024,
         "ncr-protocol":"UDP",
         "ncr-format":"JSON"
     },

     // Behavioral parameters (global)
     "ddns-send-updates": true,
     "ddns-override-no-update": false,
     "ddns-override-client-update": false,
     "ddns-replace-client-name": "never",
     "ddns-generated-prefix": "myhost",
     "ddns-qualifying-suffix": "",
     "ddns-update-on-renew": false,
     "ddns-use-conflict-resolution": true,
     "hostname-char-set": "",
     "hostname-char-replacement": "",
}

With Best Regards,
Chris LIU

{OPEN}
Thales is in the process of carving out its Transportation activity (GTS) from other Thales’ activities. In order to prepare this internal restructuring, a new e-mail address has been adopted and your GTS contacts now use urbanandmainlines.com. Please note that their Thales e-mail address remains also valid.