[Kea-users] Migration to Kea

LIU Chris chris-zq.liu at urbanandmainlines.com
Mon Sep 25 15:14:00 UTC 2023

Classified as: {OPEN}

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I am new for Kea. Could you  please explain it in detail? Thanks in advance. You are appreciated.

In my old dhcp configuration, there is common for all supported network
(1)
allow unknown-clients;

I could configure unknown-clients to allow/deny/ignore ...

Now if convert to Kea, you mean, have to use special classes KNOWN and UNKNOWN
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/classify.html#built-in-client-classes
I read it, I am totally lost.

what look like in Json format  for this client class ? like below ? could you give a sample ?

(2)
client-updates
I could configure this common parameter "client-updates" to allow/deny/ignore ...

Now if convert to Kea, you mean have to use ddns-override-client-update
https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.4.0/arm/dhcp4-srv.html#supported-parameters

from the table: List of DHCPv4 parameters supported by the Configuration Backend

Parameter                                 Global Client-Class Shared-Network Subnet Pool
ddns-override-client-update  yes      n/a                yes                         yes       n/a

this "ddns-override-client-update" configuration backend parameters can be supported in Global,
this is same as my old dhcp configuration context.
But again, how it is look like in Json format?

(3) in fact, I have other parameters the online migration tools cannot process, could you confirm it ?

ddns-update-style, I can configure it as ad_hoc/interim/dhcp_standard/none/unknown
but tools convert to
    "dhcp-ddns": {
      "enable-updates": false            // if old dhcp configure "none"
    },
or
    "dhcp-ddns": {
      "enable-updates": true,
       "qualifying-suffix": ""       // what's this qualifying-suffix ? can I leave it empty
    },

update-static-leases               // tools say: an obsolete feature, right ? I can remove it in Kea, right ?
update-conflict-detection    //  tools say:  not support, so I can remove it in Kea, right ?
use-host-decl-names on      //  tools say:  always on, so kea doesn't need to configure this

(3) in old dhcp common part, I also have below, when it convert to Kea, it comment out (IP address is hidden by myself), could you give me a hint ?

key rndc-key {
    algorithm hmac-md5;
    secret XXXXX;
}
# Zones déclarations.
zone test_1 {
    primary xx.yy.zz.aa;
    secondary aa.bb.cc.dd;
}

//  "statement": {
//    "tsig-keys": [
//      {
//        "name": "rndc-key",
//        "algorithm": "hmac-md5.SIG-ALG.REG.INT.",
//        "secret": "XXXXX"
//      }
//    ]
//  },