[Kea-users] yet another question about multiple subnets %)

Daniel Theisen djt at isc.org
Fri Nov 18 01:54:15 UTC 2022

Hello 3,

As Simon has previously	pointed out a number of times, a client must send multiple IA_NA’s in a request to get multiple addresses. This is discussed in section 6.6 Multiple Addresses and Prefixes of RFC8415 (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8415/ <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8415/>)

As per the Kea documentation, you can find the specific reference to how we handle Multiple Addresses with Host Reservations in this section in the ARM: https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/dhcp6-srv.html#host-reservations-in-dhcpv6 <https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/dhcp6-srv.html#host-reservations-in-dhcpv6>

> DHCPv6 allows a single client to lease multiple addresses and multiple prefixes at the same time. Therefore ip-addresses and prefixes are plural and are actually arrays. When the client sends multiple IA options (IA_NA or IA_PD), each reserved address or prefix is assigned to an individual IA of the appropriate type. If the number of IAs of a specific type is lower than the number of reservations of that type, the number of reserved addresses or prefixes assigned to the client is equal to the number of IA_NAs or IA_PDs sent by the client; that is, some reserved addresses or prefixes are not assigned. However, they still remain reserved for this client and the server will not assign them to any other client. If the number of IAs of a specific type sent by the client is greater than the number of reserved addresses or prefixes, the server will try to assign all reserved addresses or prefixes to the individual IAs and dynamically allocate addresses or prefixes to the remaining IAs. If the server cannot assign a reserved address or prefix because it is in use, the server will select the next reserved address or prefix and try to assign it to the client. If the server subsequently finds that there are no more reservations that can be assigned to the client at that moment, the server will try to assign leases dynamically.

Thanks,
Dan Theisen
ISC Escalations Engineer