[Kea-users] yet another question about multiple subnets %)

3 babut at yandex.ru
Fri Nov 18 09:52:28 UTC 2022

> As Simon has previously       pointed out a number of times, a client must send multiple IA_NA’s in a request to get multiple addresses. This is discussed in section 6.6 Multiple Addresses and Prefixes of RFC8415 (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8415/)
> As per the Kea documentation, you can find the specific reference to how we handle Multiple Addresses with Host Reservations in this section in the ARM: https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/dhcp6-srv.html#host-reservations-in-dhcpv6

is it possible to simply give a working server's config in which there will be two pools on the same interface, from which the server will simultaneously assign an addresses? it's hard to blame the client for anything when you're not sure it's not the server problem.
i still did not understand from the rfc whether the client should send several messages with one IA_NA in each or should send one message with several IA_NA in it. after all, there is an IAID field, and nothing prevents from sending multiple IA_NAS in one message. well, i think so. what rfc8415 thinks about this remains a mystery.
does any dhcp client know how to do this? i want to see it live.

> DHCPv6 allows a single client to lease multiple addresses and multiple prefixes at the same time. Therefore ip-addresses and prefixes are plural and are actually arrays. When the client sends multiple IA options (IA_NA or IA_PD), each reserved address or prefix is assigned to an individual IA of the appropriate type. If the number of IAs of a specific type is lower than the number of reservations of that type, the number of reserved addresses or prefixes assigned to the client is equal to the number of IA_NAs or IA_PDs sent by the client; that is, some reserved addresses or prefixes are not assigned. However, they still remain reserved for this client and the server will not assign them to any other client. If the number of IAs of a specific type sent by the client is greater than the number of reserved addresses or prefixes, the server will try to assign all reserved addresses or prefixes to the individual IAs and dynamically allocate addresses or prefixes to the remaining IAs. If the server cannot assign a reserved address or prefix because it is in use, the server will select the next reserved address or prefix and try to assign it to the client. If the server subsequently finds that there are no more reservations that can be assigned to the client at that moment, the server will try to assign leases dynamically.

from your explanation, it turns out that if the client does not have a reservation on the server, in which several addresses are specified, then he will not receive several addresses, i.e. having a dhcp server, we have returned to manually assigning addresses to each clients via dhcp server? please do not use complex language constructions, as i do not know english well and am confused. what i have read is terrible and simply cannot be true.

ps: and now a few words about life. who came up with this? who came up with the concept in which a client who has just hatched from an egg should request something from a world about which he knows nothing?! what is the name of the person responsible for this? the world should know its heroes! i will tell everyone who is responsible for the collapse of human civilization! this reptilian who flew to us with a mission to destroy humanity should be dismissed immediately!
it was a very simple task, it couldn't be simpler, we face such a task every day in our lives, and its solution is simple and typical. but your team managed to screw up even in this! humanity is doomed if it is led by such T_T
..a joke, of course, but in every joke there is only a fraction of a joke :\