[Kea-users] yet another question about multiple subnets %)

3 babut at yandex.ru
Thu Nov 17 18:21:32 UTC 2022

>> seriously? i just killed rad and reconnected the client. shall i tell you what has changed? NOTHING! do you think the dhcp client in windows is wrong? if so, then will have to redo the rfc for windows, and not windows for rfc. lol
> Did you tell the client to release its leased address ? No ? In that case, the DHCP client will continue to keep the address configured until it expires (or another network event causes it to become invalid).
dear, do you take me for an idiot? of course i deleted the leased address and looked at the dhcpv6 frames. i tell you again- check your statements in practice, otherwise it will turn into trouble for you someday.

>> exactly, there may not be a router. do you know what the problem with link-local addresses is? they can be random!
> They shouldn’t be random, on an ethernet network they will be based on the MAC address and will be stable as long as the MAC address is stable.
so, i see that you know even less than me. this is due to a device tracking issue. it's a long time to write, google it.
ps: damn it, i came here for help, and it turns out i have to help %)

>> and often this is not what we need. besides, if everything is so good with link-local, then why do local unicast addresses exist? ;)
> Different address types have different uses.
> You may have seen 169.254.n.n addresses in the IPv4 world when there is no DHCP server present. These self-assigned addresses fulfil a similar role to some of the uses for IPv6 link local addresses - specifically they allow a group of devices to use multicast DNS to find each other. mDNS underpins a number of discovery functions around finding printers, network shares, etc.
> But in a managed network, you would normally prefer to manage the addresses you put into the internal DNS. So rather than use a link local address for your internal web server, you would setup a ULA prefix and use that internally. As it’s independent of any upstream connections, it’s stable and under your control.
> For networks without a full time management team (even if that is a one person team), setting that up is usually “too hard” and not required. For a typical home network, the users don’t care about all that, they just want stuff “to work”.
i'm not stupid enough to tell me the basics ;)

> If you have a prefix delegation, it’s (in most cases) not very useful unless the rest of the network knows how to reach that prefix. But even where there isn’t any routing involved, you still need RAs to tell devices what prefix(es) are available.
CHECK YOUR STATEMENT IN PRACTICE! >:(