[Kea-users] dhcpv4 log lines explained

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Wed Aug 18 13:43:09 UTC 2021

Munroe,

This is covered in the Messages section of the Kea ARM (it is an appendix). You can find it on Readthedocs here: https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/latest/kea-messages.html#dhcp4

DHCP4_INIT_REBOOT

%1: client is in INIT-REBOOT state and requests address %2

This informational message is issued when the client is in the INIT-REBOOT state and is requesting an IPv4 address it is using to be allocated for it. The first argument includes the client and transaction identification information. The second argument specifies the requested IPv4 address.
> On Aug 18, 2021, at 9:25 AM, Munroe Sollog <mus3 at lehigh.edu> wrote:
>
> INFO  DHCP4_INIT_REBOOT [hwtype=1 ea:0d:45:c7:a6:2f], cid=[01:ea:0d:45:c7:a6:2f], tid=0xef2c2a4f: client is in INIT-REBOOT state and requests address 172.31.33.173
>
> Is there a document that explains what the loggings means a little?  in dhcpd DORA was very clearly logged and information in each log line was also clear.  It seems like KEA has adopted SARS (IPv6 logging) notation perhaps?  Even if that is true, questions remain.
>
> 1) I'm not aware of an "INIT-REBOOT" state?
> 2) I'm assuming hwtype1= <<mac address>> is the client's mac address?
> 3) What is cid and what is tid?
client ID and transaction ID

> Hopefully there is some documentation that clarifies all this for me.  Thanks.

In general, the Kea docs are much better than the dhcpd docs….

Vicky