[Kea-users] bind kea to non-local IP

Munroe Sollog mus3 at lehigh.edu
Thu Dec 14 14:10:39 UTC 2017

Francis -

Actually Bind9 supports 'rescanning' for new IPs to listen on and HAProxy
supports listening to non-local IPs.

The real problem we experience is that there are many poorly implemented
dhcp clients.  When it come time to renew its IP address, it contacts its
last DHCP server and if that server doesn't respond, it gives up.  Having a
secondary or tertiary DHCP server doesn't help in this regard unless it can
also assume the IP of the primary DHCP server.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:48 AM, James Sumners <JamesSumners at clayton.edu>
wrote:

> I concur with Munroe. I maintain https://github.com/jsumners/ucarp-rhel7
> for my HAProxy failover setup. My guess is that your opposition could stem
> from multiple OSes not supporting this sort of socket binding. Some quick
> searching shows me that at least FreeBSD supports it via the “IP_BINDANY”
> options http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?i=IP_BINDANY. On Linux it is is
> “IP_FREEBIND”. These are defined in netinet/in.h and netinet/ip.h,
> respectively.
>
> I think this would be a good feature to support since, as far as I can
> tell, routers don’t typically allow defining a backup “ip helper.”
>

> On December 14, 2017 at 3:04:25 AM, Francis Dupont (fdupont at isc.org)
> wrote:
>
> Kea is like 99.99% of network servers I know: it binds only to local
> addresses
> as required by the standard socket API.
>
> Regards
>
> Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>
>
> PS: I am sure you'll get the same problem with bind9 for instance.

Munroe Sollog
Senior Network Engineer
munroe at lehigh.edu