[Kea-users] bind kea to non-local IP

Francis Dupont fdupont at isc.org
Thu Dec 14 14:47:29 UTC 2017

Munroe Sollog writes:
> Actually Bind9 supports 'rescanning' for new IPs to listen on and HAProxy
> supports listening to non-local IPs.

=> rescan allows to add or remove addresses to interfaces, not
virtual addresses. The DNS uses anycast addresses which is another way
to provide a service at a "fixed" address by multiple servers.
Of course it works better with an essentially "state less" protocol as DNS,
and not with DHCP at the exception of INFORM...

> The real problem we experience is that there are many poorly implemented
> dhcp clients.  When it come time to renew its IP address, it contacts its
> last DHCP server and if that server doesn't respond, it gives up.

=> it is a clear (but common) violation of the protocol both at the letter
and in the spirit.
Perhaps it is the reason DHCPv6 requires the use of multicast?

Thanks

Francis Dupont <fdupont at isc.org>