[Kea-users] bind kea to non-local IP

James Sumners JamesSumners at clayton.edu
Thu Dec 14 13:48:09 UTC 2017

I concur with Munroe. I maintain https://github.com/jsumners/ucarp-rhel7 for my HAProxy failover setup. My guess is that your opposition could stem from multiple OSes not supporting this sort of socket binding. Some quick searching shows me that at least FreeBSD supports it via the “IP_BINDANY” options http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?i=IP_BINDANY. On Linux it is is “IP_FREEBIND”. These are defined in netinet/in.h and netinet/ip.h, respectively.

I think this would be a good feature to support since, as far as I can tell, routers don’t typically allow defining a backup “ip helper.”