[Kea-users] External script to enable or disable pools

Tomek Mrugalski tomasz at isc.org
Wed Jul 27 16:46:51 UTC 2016

On 27/07/16 17:03, Munroe Sollog wrote:
> I am working on deploying a DHCP server with two declarations. They
> will be serving the same VLAN and offering nonoverlapping pools.
> Each pool will be using a different gateway address. I would like the
> ability for a service (nagios) to be able to enable or disable a pool
> if/when the upstream gateway becomes unavailable.
Do you want this to be modeled as two subnets with one pool in each or
as one subnet with two pools in it?

Please note that Kea currently does not provide the ability to tie
different option values with specific pools. You can currently define
options on global, subnet, client class and host levels.

Also, keep in mind that once Kea (or any other DHCP server for that
matter) sends out a configuration to clients, they will use it and will
only get back to renew their configuration after renew-timer elapses.
This means that any changes will not be picked up instantly. In
principle there's a reconfigure mechanism, but since it is not
mandatory, majority of the clients don't support it, so it's risky to
depend on it.

> Does Kea currently support any sort of API that would allow me to
> achieve this?
Not at this moment, but we're in a process of designing such an API. We
currently have requirements written and are looking for feedback. The
current proposal is available here:
http://kea.isc.org/wiki/ControlAPIRequirements. I would be great if you
could review it and check if what we intend to implement would work for you.

We are looking for sponsors of that work and for people who are willing
to test engineering prototypes once we have it developed. Let me know if
you are interested.

> I know that I could, through a script, edit the configuration and
> reload/restart the daemon, but I was wondering if there was a more
> elegant way.
There isn't any at the moment, but we're hoping to have that capability
in not so distant future. Depending on how popular this feature will be
among existing and prospective customers we may develop it sooner or
much later.

Tomek