ISC DHCP limitation observed while load testing with dhcperf

Amit Jathar amit.jathar at alepo.com
Wed Jun 5 17:01:05 UTC 2013

Thanks friends for the responses.
I observed the following:-
1) I have created dhcpf.conf file ip range of 60k files in it.
In this case, I got around 200 TPS with dhcperf.
2) I have added one more 60k ip range in the dhcpd.conf file.
In this case, I got very low TPS around 40 TPS.
After this, as I added more IP ranges in the dhcpd.conf. I observed that the TPS still reduced.
I tried creating multiple pools, multiple subnets, shared subnets but still more than 60k IPs in the dhcpd.conf impacts TPS performance.

I have tried adding SSD drive, also creating  ramdisk. Also, I have configured async syslog.
I am already using high end servers with 32 GB RAM & 2TB HDD.
This way, I conclude that If I want 200 TPS to be achieved, I can have around 60k IP's in the dhcpd.conf.
I don't think this issue with IOPS, as there is ample memory, CPU available while running stress, also iowait was not increasing while stress.

Is there anyone who has achieved more TPS than this, may be around 1000 TPS ?