DHCP problem in a complex scenario with lease events

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Thu Nov 12 23:24:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 08:15:46PM -0800, Matt Causey wrote:
> Other than omshell being kinda cantankerous, why would you suggest
> against using it?

Mainly the cantankerousness.  I'm hoping to have a less cantankerous
alternative we can migrate folks across to, but this is fast proving a
mirage of a far-distant horizon.

> Are there concerns about the stability of the
> service whilst using the shell?  I've got several automation bits and
> bobs that are using it in production, for operations staff, etc.

If you've already got it running there's no reason to resist it.

I think there is still a memory leak we've never been able to find,
despite finding a few already.

But I know a lot of folks use it in production, and we try hard to
maintain it.

> If I wanted to try using omshell to reserve the lease, how would I do
> that?  I've dropped into the shell, opened the lease (via IP address),
> the 'set state = 8'.  When I do the 'update', it gives me an error,
> 'invalid argument'.

The 'reserved' bit is a flag.

One problem with omapi is that I don't know the answer to the
question offhand, and you'd have to refer to the sources to get the
right integer bit you need to set on the flags field...then translate
that to omshell language...

You can try reserving a lease by editing dhcpd.leases on a dummy
server and see how the flags field changes in omshell.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.