What are these entries in the log file - " query: . IN NS +"?

Tony Toews [MVP] ttoews at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 27 03:23:31 UTC 2009

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

>> It looks like the server is replying with a refused statement.  The following
>>  are the
>> two lines that WireShark captured.
>>
>> Standard query NS <Root>
>> Standard query response, refused
>
>	Good.  The attacker is trying to you as a amplifier and
>	that is not happening.  That is all one can reasonably
>	expect.

So we're not sending any traffic back to the alleged requesting IP address?   BTW
WireShark is indicating in one of the bit flags on the request that they are trying
to do a "Recursion desired: Do query recursively"

>	The next thing you should do is ask your ISP to chase them
>	back to their source and if they are local to the ISP block
>	them by implementing BCP 38 other wise to pass on the request
>	to the peers they are getting them from.

Ahh, ok.  I'll need to gather a bunch of the alleged IP addresses then.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.