What are these entries in the log file - " query: . IN NS +"?

Tony Toews [MVP] ttoews at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 27 04:03:24 UTC 2009

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews at telusplanet.net> wrote:

>As far as I can tell from the same 5 or 20 IP addresses.  I haven't seen these lines
>before.

When I analyzed todays log I got three IP address.

204.15.80.50 might be smtp9.soma.ironport.com
63.217.28.226 might be Network solutions according to the below SlashDot article.
76.9.16.171 is mentioned at http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5713

Ah, I think I see what is happening here.  Searching at the below article for
63.217.28.226
http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/09/01/24/0113210.shtml shows a reply stating:

"The problem seems to kick in for DNS servers that arent rejecting the queries.
Someone is channeling ye 'ole smurfing methods.

They're requesting a list of all DNS root servers. If the server don't reject the
query, a 17 byte query becomes a 50k response (or something like that) to the spoofed
address."

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP