DHCPv6 Option 56 configuration

Miloslav Hůla miloslav.hula at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 07:24:42 UTC 2024

Dne 19.01.2024 v 0:27 mxhajduczenia at gmail.com napsal(a):
> Just to build some more in here …
>
> I tried to create a fake option 56 using the following config
>
> /option dhcp6.ntp-servers code 56 = text;/
> /option dhcp6.ntp-servers "This is a test";/
>
> and it does causes Option 56 to show up, but obviously, it is malformed,
> as expected.
>
> Then I go with a proper definition of Option 56 as an encapsulation
> option as shown below
>
> /option space ntp56 code width 2 length width 2 hash size 2;/
> /option ntp56.address code 1 = array of ip6-address;/
> /option ntp56.fqdn code 3 = text;/
> /option opt56 code 56 = encapsulate ntp56;/
> /option ntp56.address ::1;/
> /vendor-option-space ntp56;/

Oh, I'm sorry. The sntp-servers is option 31.

I think vendor-option-space is not necessary. It is for custom vendor
options e.g. if one vendor use option code 10 and other vendor use the
option code 10 too but with different meaning. I would try:

option space ntp56 code width 2 length width 2 hash size 2;
option ntp56.address code 1 = array of ip6-address;
option ntp56.fqdn code 3 = text;
option dhcp6.ntp-servers code 56 = encapsulate ntp56;

ntp56.address = fc00:6ce4:40:146::1;
ntp56.fqdn = "ntp.example.com";

Would like to test, but none of our of thousands clients does not
require this option.

Milo