DHCPv6 Option 56 configuration

mxhajduczenia at gmail.com mxhajduczenia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 23:27:26 UTC 2024

Just to build some more in here …

I tried to create a fake option 56 using the following config

option dhcp6.ntp-servers code 56 = text;

option dhcp6.ntp-servers "This is a test";

and it does causes Option 56 to show up, but obviously, it is malformed, as expected.

Then I go with a proper definition of Option 56 as an encapsulation option as shown below

option space ntp56 code width 2 length width 2 hash size 2;

option ntp56.address code 1 = array of ip6-address;

option ntp56.fqdn code 3 = text;

option opt56 code 56 = encapsulate ntp56;

option ntp56.address ::1;

vendor-option-space ntp56;

This one does not generate any Option 56 structure, invalid or otherwise. It is strange to me, since I know the syntax is correct and follows ISC documentation, but for some reason the Option 56 is not being generated here. Why, I am clueless. Any hints would be really appreciated.