isc-dhcp-server ignoring requests because there are no IPv4 addresses configured

Simon dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 17:38:42 UTC 2023

Markus Krainz <ldm at gmx.at> wrote:

> No, I don't have an explicit subnet declaration for the 192.168.129.x network in /etc/dhcpd.conf.
> I would like this information to come from the configured network mask / address on the interface.

Even if you do not serve client directly connected to the interface, you should still have a matching subnet declared. So for the interface with address  192.168.129.22/24, you should have a subnet declaration :
subnet 192.168.129.22 255.255.255.0 {
}

This will satisfy the error checks on startup (you probably have a warning issued on startup without it), but as there is nothing defined (no pools) within it, no direct requests will be served. If there were any directly connected clients, then you’d see “no free leases” in the logs.

Simon