What does update-conflict-detection true; do

Nicolas C. dhcp at nryc.fr
Tue Jul 18 17:27:07 UTC 2017

Le 18/07/2017 à 14:19, Zenz, Thomas a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I didn't find an official description for it. Only:
>
> If update-conflict-detection is true, the dhcp-server updates the dns-server with the A, PTR and TXT record.
> If update-conflict-detection is false, the dhcp-server updates the dns-server with only the A and PTR record.
>
> Is that all?
> It sounds more like ignoring DHCID or not overwriting entries w/o DHCID.

That's all but if you disable it, it means that basically any host can
overwrite any record and multiple hosts with the same name will
continuously take turn to update the same record.

With "update-conflict-detection" on, the first host get to update the
zone and after that any other hosts with the same name are rejected as
long as the lease of the first one is valid.