Restricting leases

Patrick Trapp ptrapp at nex-tech.com
Thu Jan 29 16:12:23 UTC 2015

First, an apology - I'm not even sure how to ask this question, so my pre-post research really got me nowhere. So I'm really looking for a direction as much as an answer - I hate wasting people's time asking a question when I don't really know enough to ask the question well.

Second, the question(s) - Can we/how can we/should we limit the devices that the DHCP server provides addresses to? For example, legitimate devices on this network are 80% produced by two specific manufacturers. There should be virtually no workstations on this network - legitimate workstations accessing this network will do so via another network and get their addresses from a different DHCP system. The only reason a workstation should be on this network is if a technician is troubleshooting.

So I am looking at the viability of allowing devices from the known manufacturers and whitelisting the specific devices carried by our technicians and not providing addresses for unexpected devices.

I fully expect and deserve an RTFM - I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas where I should be looking and what key words will get me where I need to go.

Thanks for reading,
Patrick