Responding to option 161 requests in heterogeneous byod-allowed network

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 13 15:34:59 UTC 2015

On Feb 6, 2015, at 1:23 PM, John Wobus wrote:

> Anyone have experience to share supporting thin clients with option
> 161
> target
> the response to current and future thin client models that use it
> in its current sense?
>
> We've always used classes to target these sorts of functions to
> appropriate
> clients but in googling option 161, I've found very little about
> what folks
> are doing.  Obviously something both specific to the relevant thin
> clients
> and unlikely to be used for anything else is what would have some
> value.
>
> John Wobus
> Cornell University IT

We settled on trying this (globally):

option ftpserver code 161 = string;
if option vendor-class-identifier = "wyse-1000" {
         option ftpserver "http://wyse.example.com";
}

Wyse appears to have preserved that vendor-class-identifier
at least since a 2007 posting on the same topic.

John Wobus
Cornell University IT