Sub-pool or pool hierarchy

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Oct 15 02:12:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, October 15, 2013 6:50 am, Prunk Dump wrote:
> Thanks Simon, Sten, Doug for your help !
>
> You are right ! if I organize my two domains in two subnet, all the
> class matching techniques works ! Thanks for the circuit.id trick !
>
> My problem is that making this organization I need to change all the
> IP ranges previously used when I make IP addresses reservation.
> Moreover we are two network administrator in this high school and my
> associate will not be very happy if I change all the IP addresses
> distribution.
>
> Unfortunately it seems not possible to group the pools parameters
> apart with the subnet keyword....
>
> Thanks,
>
> PELLEGRIN Baptiste.

In an earlier mail someone wrote:

pool {
 option ...
 option ...
 pool ...
 pool ...
 pool ...
}

but this should be

group {
 option ...
 option ...
 pool ...
 pool ...
 pool ...
}

You can use the group statement to allow you to put common options at a
higher level to a pool, or subnet.

So you might have something like this. I've left out some of the details
as you go further down, but this might give you some ideas.

class ...
class ...

subnet ... {
  option ...
  group { # DC 1
    option ...
    option ...
    pool { # first class room
      allow members of ...
      option ...
      range ...
    }
    pool ... # second class room
  }
  group { # DC 2
  }
}

The challenging part is to somehow match the clients in a given room to a
particular class. There is then a pool that allows members of that class.
The pool defines the range of IPs and any specific options for that class.

Other emails have made various suggestions for doing this, eg MAC address,
hostname, circuit-id, and so on.

regards,
-glenn