lease problem

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Jul 28 12:44:20 UTC 2012

Hi Julie

If you are worried about using up all your dynamic range with pxe leases,
you can use a class, such as this, to give PXE clients a short lease time:

class "PXE" {
  match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient";
  # 10 minutes should be long enough for PXE
  max-lease-time 600;
}

It doesn't solve the problem of having a different IP address for PXE and
Windows, but provides an alternative that hopefully gets around one of the
limitations.

There does not appear to be any other way around this without hacking the
source code of the ISC dhcp server to ignore client-id, or using
fixed-address host statements.

regards,
-glenn