Client classification based on device name. It is possible?

Алексей Прокопчук alexpro at homelan.lg.ua
Sun Jul 8 21:55:05 UTC 2012

Good time of the day!
06.07.2012 23:00, Simon Hobson пишет:
> Different VLANs are **NOT** a shared network. Specifically, a shared
> network relates to having multiple subnets in the same broadcast domain.
>
> So 10.0.0.0/16 and 192.168.0.1/26 are one shared network (in VLAN 21).
> And 10.1.0.0/16 and 192.168.0.64/26 are in a **DIFFERENT** shared
> network (in VLAN 22).
> And so on.
>

> One other thing you've done that is a common mistake ...
>>  subnet 10.0.0.0 255.255.0.0
>>  {
>>    deny unknown-clients;
>>
>>    host m1
>>    {
>>      hardware ethernet 00:01:02:03:04:05;
>>      fixed-address 10.0.0.5;
>>    }
>>  }
> Now, no matter where they are declared, host statements are global in
> scope. So this host declaration is valid **anywhere** in your network,
> not just in VLAN 21. Where it gets interesting is what happens if you
> plug it into VLAN 22.
>
> It will (depending on any restrictions applied) get an address from a
> range in VLAN 22 - though in the config snippet you've posted, there
> won't (I don't think) be a dynamic address it's allowed to use.
> Were it to get an address, then it would inherit options from the
> subnet where it's defined - including the router !
> So you could have a device that got (say) 192.168.0.66/26, but had a
> router of 192.168.0.1 which isn't in the same subnet. We have had at
> least one query here where that was happening and it did take a little
> while to realise why.
Thanks for good explanation, I rewrite config according your
recomendations and all works very well.
Now config looks like this:

group
{
 shared-network vlan21
 {
   subnet 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.192
   {
     pool
     {
       allow unknown-clients;
       range 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.62;
     }
   }

   subnet 10.0.0.0 255.255.0.0
   {
     deny unknown-clients;

     host m1
     {
       hardware ethernet 00:01:02:03:04:05;
       fixed-address  10.0.0.5;
     }
   }
 }
}

... and so on for each network device.

Now, server offers IP address from proper pool. In case with host with
fixed-address all works well too.
Thanks again, you really helped me.

With best regards, Alexey Prokopchuk