ISC DHCP on Virtual Machines

Bjarne Blichfeldt BJB at jndata.dk
Tue Jan 24 13:40:53 UTC 2012

> Dear all,

> Let suppose multiple DHCP servers running in failover pairs,
> Considering putting  them on Virtual Machines (VMWARE) in order to spare physical servers:
> - Is it technically possible ?
> - Is it a good conceptual choice ?

> Thanks in advance for your comments
> Regards
> yves

We have tried that and we where not happy.  Our dhcp servers are running on linux RHEL5.
It turned out our vmware farm was not quite as stable as we thought.  Many times work on the SAN  made the linux boxes  remount their disks as readonly.
Furthermore the diskperformance can vary a lot.
We have around 10.000 workstations depending on dhcp. Imagine the noise when they don't work.

We ended up with two physical servers located in separate computer rooms and have been happy ever since.

Regards,
Bjarne