DCHP host entry with 2 IP's ?

Paul Reilly pareilly at tcd.ie
Fri Aug 5 18:31:30 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'd like client computers to be able to move between subnets, and get an
appropriate IP address specific to that subnet.
The dhcpd.conf says you can have multiple fixed-addresses in the host entry,
and the DHCP server will provide the one which is viable on the subnet from
which the client is requesting a lease from.

I've tried this, but have not had much success in getting it to work.
I have two subnets, subnet 10 and subnet 20
Here's what I have.

subnet  x.y.10.10   netmask 255.255.255.0 {
 option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option routers x.y.10.1;
max-lease-time 600;
default-lease-time 600;
}

subnet x.y.20.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option routers x.y.20.1;
max-lease-time 600;
default-lease-time 600;
}

host  myhost1     { hardware ethernet 00:1C:23:EE:C1:8E;  fixed-address
x.y.10.10,  x.y.20.10;}

How can I ensure that requests from subnet 10 get the x.y.10.10  address,
and requests from subnet 20 get the x.y.20.10  address?

Thanks
Paul