[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Tim Gavin livewire98801 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 18:19:42 UTC 2010

Wow, this thread got big while I slept :)

I'm doing something similar (different physical networks using one
DHCP server) and am using separate vlans.  I was going to give you my
config, but since you're using a Red Hat based system, and I'm using
Debian, it won't do you much good.  RedHat is pretty easy to do
though, IIRC.  As another poster mentioned, you could also use two
NICs.

You mentioned using SMB shares.  My microsoft-fu is pretty rusty, but
IIRC, you can use your WINS server to advertise between separate
subnets.  Might wanna look that up and see if I'm right about that, as
the DHCP part gets a LOT less complicated if you can use separate
subnets.  Also, your Linux box will work quite well as a router, you
don't have to do inter-vlan routing at your switch.

Just some thoughts for you, I don't pretend to be an expert :)

Of course, you can always switch all the desktops to Linux ;)  No?

Tim