[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Jan 6 17:20:54 UTC 2010

Simon Hobson wrote:
> On the other hand, if it means "devices can find each other by
> broadcast" (such as via mdns, aka Bonjour) then it would cause you
> issues. With a little bit of setup, Windows networking can work
> transparently across separate subnets.
    They need to find each other, but not via IPs.  We have several
(Windows and Samba) file servers on the network and both PCs and Macs on
the network, both wired and wireless, that need to be able to browse and
find those servers.  No one knows their IPs (well, except me, but that
doesn't help the rest of the company).