[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Jan 6 03:05:03 UTC 2010

>From: James Dinkel <jdinkel at gmail.com>
>Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 20:37:44 -0600
>Subject: Re: [DHCP] RE: Determining request
>To: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com>wrote:
>
> > Tim Gavin wrote:
> >
> >> What OS are you using on your server?
> >>

> >   It's a Fedora system acting as a firewall and DHCPd server.  Attached is
> > a simple map ...
> >

> Oh yeah, I guess you could just forget the pfsense I mentioned and use your
> Fedora Core box to route the vlans, and since dhcpd is on that box you won't
> even have to mess with dhcprelay.

If you wanted to keep it real low-tech you could even add another NIC
to the Fedora box, a small hub or switch and plug the WAPs into that.
Then use a different IP address range for that.

As far as dhcpd goes, you add a second subnet declaration just like the
existing one, except use the appropriate IP addresses you have
configured for the new subnet. No other dhcpd magic configuration is
required. This applies whether you use vlans or a physical network - as
far as dhcpd is concerned the two are the same.

regards,
-glenn