DHCPD server stops serving addresses since upgrade

R.K.Hillman at bton.ac.uk R.K.Hillman at bton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 24 14:41:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

We have been using ISC DHCPD happily for some time now. We are running
on a pair of Sun V240s and have just upgraded from 3.1.1 to 4.1.0.

We did attempt an upgrade to 4.0.0 a while ago but experienced problems
and reverted back, suspecting that as 4.0.0 was new, there may have been
some issues which would be sorted in a future release.

Unfortunately, with 4.1.0 we are still experiencing the same problem
which is this. When a host requests an IP address based on its hardware
ethernet and the client is on the same subnet as the servers, the server
(and its secondary) stop serving. The DHCPd service is still up and
running and is stoppable. There appears not to be any clue in the logs
apart from, for example:

Mar 24 14:29:46 zaniah dhcpd: [ID 702911 local7.info] DHCPDISCOVER from
00:14:51:02:2e:6c via bge0
Mar 24 14:29:46 zaniah dhcpd: [ID 702911 local7.info] DHCPOFFER on
194.83.112.102 to 00:14:51:02:2e:6c via bge0

Then all the logs cease and noone else gets an address until we restart
the servers

I've tried this with three different workstations and the result is
always the same. We are serving IP addresses based on MAC addresses to
computers on other subnets without any problems.

If anyone has any ideas about this I'd be grateful to hear.

Regards

Ray Hillman