DHCPv6 failover protocol?

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Fri Mar 6 06:07:28 UTC 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Does this mean long-lived TCP sessions will break when a different
> address is leased?  SHIM6 and/or SCTP could be solutions to this
> problem, but I don't think the world is as optimistic as I am about
> those.

The distinction with DHCPv6/IPv6 is that when you get an IP address,
it has a preferred lifetime and a valid lifetime.   The DHCP client
will go looking for a new address after half the preferred lifetime
has expired, usually (it's a bit more complicated than that, but
that's good enough to get the idea).

Suppose the DHCP server that issued the original address isn't
answering.   Then at that point the client will get a new address from
the other DHCP server.   But it still keeps the old address, and it
can keep using the old address until the valid lifetime on that
address expires.   So it's not like with DHCPv4 where when you get a
lease on a new IP address, all your connections immediately break.

It's still the case that long-running connections will die when the
valid lifetime expires, so if you have a connection that absolutely
has to be up for a month, your valid lifetime had better be a month
plus the renewal time.   Realistically, though, this probably means
that your long-running connection will be broken by something other
than a DHCPv6 outage.   One hopes that you don't have it set up so you
lose a month's work if it breaks.